Friday, November 21, 2008

Thankful Thursday



Well the carcass is in the fridge, along with the myriad side dishes the kids wouldn't touch. Next year, mashed potatoes. That's all I'm making. Mashed potatoes. But in keeping with the holiday's spirit, here's some of what I'm thankful for:

  • For the two boys I once thought I'd never have and the husband who had 'em with me!
  • For the families we share, no matter how zany they may be.
  • For Pudding. Not the dessert, but the geriatric cat sitting on my lap who think's the world begins and ends with "her people." I'm not quite thankful for the dog yet. Although I am thinking of serving her next thanksgiving. With mashed potatoes.
  • For new friends. Lesson people: Always be open to making new friends. Some of the people I've only just gotten to know this past year have proved to be some of my favorites! Funny, funny ladies.
  • For old friends. Not that they're old, but their friendship has lasted longer than my magazine subscriptions.
  • For A Christmas Story, green bean casserole, white wine and holiday parades.
  • For having kids who still believe in Santa, and who have never complained that for some reason he brings the trendy toys to our house a couple of years later than their friends!
  • For kids books that make me cry (The Giving Tree). For holiday movies that make me cry (A Christmas Carol). For songs on the radio that make me cry (The Christmas Shoes). Man, maybe I need some Zoloft!
  • And for having raised two fabulously color-blind kids who don't realize it's monumental that we've just elected an African-American president. To them, he's just Obama, just the younger of the two guys that were running. It's an event I didn't think I'd see in my lifetime, and it's happened, and I'm so excited. What was impossible when our parents were growing up...was unexpected when we were growing up...has just become a fact of life for our kids. It's onward and upward now...to steal a quote from Bob the Builder, "Can We Fix It? Yes, We Can!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have leftovers? We're coming over.
gc