Thursday, September 17, 2009

Please Sir, May I Have Some More?



Okay so here's the scoop, or in this case, the ladle. I'm temporarily putting the humor blog on hiatus. An LA sage has me rethinking and retooling. So in the meantime, lest I go rusty, I shall blog some things of interest that I don't particularly care get shanghaied.

Two friends today, one tangible and one virtual, wrote to me about my soups. I may be known for several things, some good and some bad. One of the "good" is my soups. So tonight I'm blogging my two absolutely favorite soup recipes. What could be safer than soup?!?! The first is Suzanne's "Oh So Gouda Seafood Chowder"... a so-tweeked-it's-now-original recipe I think I tore out of a magazine about 20 years ago. I always double it because it's such a rare treat that if you're going to make it you might as well make a ton of it!

The second is my signature soup. Back when the Pennbrook Ave. neighbors were at their finest, we would have an annual Oktoberfest in our backyard and this soup would always be served and devoured. Sad that my signature is readily available on the web. What makes it "my" signature soup is that I double the mushrooms/onions and triple the curry. I love curry. And even tripled, this is still very mild, curry-wise. But if you're of a sensitive constitution, you may want to stick with the original amount listed. The way I make it, my husband calls it a "delicious fart in a bowl." So here you go. Enjoy.


Suze's "Oh So Gouda Seafood Chowder"

* 6 T. butter

* 3/4 chopped celery

* 1/2 c. chopped onion

* 1/2 c. shredded carrot

* 1/2 c. flour
* 1 t. thyme
* 1/2 t. salt
* 1/4 t. pepper
* 6 oz. can tomato paste
* 4 c. milk

* 14 1/2 oz. can chicken broth

* 1/4 c. water

* 1/2 c. dry white wine or sherry

* 7 oz. shredded Gouda
* 12 oz. crabmeat OR clams

* 12 oz. cooked shrimp (small)


In a heavy large pot, melt butter and saute vegetables over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in tomato paste and gradually add milk and water. Bring to boil for 1 minute over med. heat, always stirring. Reduce heat to low and add cheese. Stir until melted, then add seafood until warmed. Stir wine in just before serving. 7 servings

Suze's "Fart in a Bowl"
Curried Pumpkin Soup

* 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
* 1/2 c. chopped onion
* 2 T. butter

* 2 T. flour

* 3/4 tso. curry powder

* 3 C. vegetable broth

* 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin

* 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
* 1 T. honey

* 1/2 tsp. salt

* 1/4 tsp. pepper
* 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
* Minced chives

In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour and curry powder until blended. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the pumpkin, milk, honey, salt, pepper and nutmeg; heat through. Garnish with chives if desired. Yield: 7 servings. (7 too-small servings. Just go ahead and double the darned thing! And TRUST me...it will be worth sleeping in separate bedrooms to triple the curry!)


No comments: